7.28.2008

Beautiful Christian Sister

I used to be a pretty strong advocate for stoppping useless forwards...that is, until I started receiving the funniest emails ever from friends. "Best 'Out of Office' Messages" , "Christmas Carols for the Disturbed", "Things You'd Like to Say Outloud At Work", and "Dog and Cat Diaries" remain at the top of my forwarded email list. In fact, there have been so many that I have just loved that I've made a folder in my Outlook titled "Funny Emails".

Well, today I received the most beautiful forward that put all of the funny forwards to shame. I wanted to share it with all of my sisters. Enjoy!

BEAUTIFUL CHRISTIAN SISTER
by Maya Angelou
'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean livin''
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.
When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain..
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love the poem. I will be coming to Wichita for my first stint on Aug 5.

tiff said...

I do LOVE this poem. I think I need to post it in my home, I love it so much. Thanks for sharing that Michelle!